Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Naming is Important

Naming is important. A few years ago, I read a Christian fiction series in which the main character would find the meaning of the names of the women in her prayer group and a verse to give them on their birthday. Inspired by that, when my Lifegroup went on a retreat a few months later, I did the same for each woman. It was a powerful moment that each one of us. It helped us to connect in a deep way.

Lately, God has reminded me if how important names are to Him. In the Bible, there are multiple examples of how He renames His people for a purpose, i.e. Abram, Sari, Jacob, Simon. He gives name to the wrong we do in our lives, sin. He gives different names to His love that shows different sides and intimacies. Even God Himself have different names for the role He is encompassing in the lives of His people, from provider to Savior.

So, naming is important. I've tried to be very purposeful in my things I have to name. For example, the name of my blog come from the meaning behind my first and middle name: Amy- Beloved; Gail- A Father's Joy. I've really worked on remembering those meanings over my life in the past few years. When I feel forgotten or abandoned, I remember, I am named Beloved. I am Beloved by God. When I get disgruntled or complain, I tell myself that I am My Father's Joy. I have the joy of my Lord and it will strengthen me. Lately, I have had a hard time describing this emotion I've felt towards God in regards to my life. It was frustrating me because I knew what I was feeling wasn't a bad thing. It was a sense of gratitude, but bigger than that word. I wanted, I longed, I craved a word to express what I was feeling. Last Friday, I went to a Passover Seder meal by a Messianic Jew (super amazing on other levels...might be some future blog posts). While reading the Haggadah, we read this word: dayenu. The meaning of this word is 'it would have been enough.' As soon as I uttered the words from my lips, I felt a sense of peace as that emotion finally had a name. Dayenu. The Lord offered His Son's life for me. Dayenu. I am redeemed and live in grace. Dayenu. All of that would have been enough. But then, I have a wonderful family. Dayenu. I have sweet friendships. Dayenu. And don't even get me started on the little gifts I receive from God daily. All of that would have been enough, but our God continues to provide over and over, again and again. It's amazing and for me, encompassed in the naming of Dayenu. Now my soul rests for when I get overwhelmed with the blessings, I whisper dayenu and it is all understood.

0 comments:

Post a Comment