Saturday, February 22, 2014

Saturday's List

Things I've Learned in the First Two Months of 2014

1. Winter can be really cold. Really cold. Really really cold. Winter is definitely NOT my favorite!

2. Most people think Valentine's Day is for love. Well, according to my kindergarten class it isn't. Valentine's Day is about making everything pink and eating lots of candy. Now that we all know the true meaning of Valentine's Day, let's go forward celebrating pink and candy!

3. Dansko clogs are the best shoe for standing all day long. They may not be the most fashion forward shoe on the planet, but they are awesome for my feet and my back at the end of the day. Plus they provide great protection from accidentally getting stepped on by five and six year olds.

4. Honesty is important and telling only a part of the story has the same impact as lying. As one of my best friends from high school can tell you, I would always say, "Honesty is the best policy."

5. I'm trying to follow a reading plan to read through the Bible entirely this year. It started off a bit different than traditional plans, and I read Daniel first. That is an amazing book and probably one of my favorites right now. Currently though I'm struggling through Exodus. It's been hard for me to read. What is your favorite book of the Bible? What is a book that is hard for you to read?

6. I jumped on the bandwagon and read the Divergent series. I liked the first book a lot, but I was disappointed with the way the trilogy finished. I didn't disagree with the ending but I didn't like the style of writing. 

7. Speaking of reading, I thought I would take some book recommendations. Anything super amazing out there that I need to read?

8. Kindergarteners make me laugh. It is pretty much like those ATT&T commericals everyday. I had a conversation with a few of them the other day that was hilarious. They asked me what I did with my kids at home. I told them I didn't have any kids because I wasn't married. One kid totally flipped out and said, "How are you living? How can you survive? You need a husband to pay for your house and your food." Then another kid piped up, "Miss Leochner is a grown-up, she can take care of herself. She doesn't have to have a husband."  Too funny.

9. We start our Dr. Seuss unit at school next week. This always is a marking point because it usually means we only have three months left in the school year.  Every year, I always start thinking, "This is the last..." or "I really need to do this so they are ready for next year...." It becomes a mixed time of emotions as my time to shepherd them winds down. 

10.  Relationships are important, especially with family. Don't ever forget that. Learn to forgive and love. No one is perfect and if you spend your time looking for perfection or harboring unforgiveness, you might miss out on a rich and abundant life. Love is the answer. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment