Thursday, February 27, 2014

New Favorite Bible People: Bezalel and Oholiab

Exodus 35:30-35 (NLT)

Then Moses told the people of Israel, “The Lord has specifically chosen Bezalel son of Uri, grandson of Hur, of the tribe of Judah. The Lord has filled Bezalel with the Spirit of God, giving him great wisdom, ability, and expertise in all kinds of crafts. He is a master craftsman, expert in working with gold, silver, and bronze. He is skilled in engraving and mounting gemstones and in carving wood. He is a master at every craft. And the Lord has given both him and Oholiab son of Ahisamach, of the tribe of Dan, the ability to teach their skills to others. The Lord has given them special skills as engravers, designers, embroiderers in blue, purple, and scarlet thread on fine linen cloth, and weavers. They excel as craftsmen and as designers.

Have you ever felt like you had a gift or ability that you had to keep under wraps?  You knew it was something you liked to do, yet you felt like you might not be good enough.  Or maybe you wanted to develop the talent but the people surrounding you didn't encourage you to grow in that area.  Perhaps you may have even felt judged for having that desire or talent.

That was how I felt in my heart for a long time about my interest and abilities in the arts.  As a Christian, especially as I got older, I really didn't meet many in my faith community that were supportive of the arts.  Sure, my family was supportive, but once outside of that comfort zone, things seemed uncomfortable.  And of course it became more uncomfortable for me because many in the artistic community couldn't understand why I would incorporate my faith into the arts, that it was too cliche', not edgy enough, like the monologue I did for competitive drama.  I couldn't reconcile the artistic side with my faith, so for a long time, I just ignored it.  

My senior year in college, I took an art for non-majors class and I loved it.  In the class, the professor told us how he incorporated his Native American spirituality into all of his paintings.  A light bulb went off in my head.  If he could be bold enough and do that, then why couldn't I do the same with my Christian faith?  Ever since then, I have tried to do incorporate my faith in various pieces I do.  

Last fall, after being moved by some very spiritually intimate worship music, my soul was stirred to continue to develop this artistic nature through my dancing ability.  I found a local Christian dance studio and enrolled in their adult ballet class.  It has been fun-in fact sometimes it feels like I had memorized ballet so deeply I had never stopped.  (Which I do dream about dancing quite often.)  As I'm learning and developing this ability to worship God, I have felt more at peace with myself.

Now the passage from Exodus.  How does this all come together?  One day as I was listening to my one year reading plan aloud, I was struck by the actual naming of Bezalel and Oholiab and the fact that it says that the Lord gave them their abilities.  It touched my heart.  I felt the Holy Spirit whispering to me that God has given me artistic abilities like these two men to worship Him.  I may not be able to sing or play an instrument like most people think what qualifies as worship.  But, I can paint or draw a picture that can express my heart to the Lord.  I can create art that encourages and further's God's mission on earth.  I can dance for the Lord, telling a story of His love and compassion for all.  These are my special gifts and abilities God has given me to worship Him.  Being artistic isn't bad, it isn't a divergent from traditional Christianity.  Just like Bezalel and Oholiab, this is how God made me and I can use it for His Glory.  I will not hide it away anymore!

0 comments:

Post a Comment