Sunday, August 31, 2014

Soulful Sunday: Three Times

2 Kings 13: 18-19 (NLT) - Then he said, “Now pick up the other arrows and strike them against the ground.” So the king picked them up and struck the ground three times. But the man of God was angry with him. “You should have struck the ground five or six times!” he exclaimed. “Then you would have beaten Aram until it was entirely destroyed. Now you will be victorious only three times.”

This encounter in 2 Kings is Elisha’s last prophecy before he dies.  There were many things that I found interesting here.  First, even though the king knew Elisha (and I’m sure of all the great things God used him for) he only did a minimum.  Elisha becomes angry with the king probably because of how small the request was.  He reminds the king of God’s power and now give a prophecy that the king will not destroy the enemy.


For me the passage hit home about how I can narrow my view of God in light of the struggles I face.  Instead, I should remember how big my God is.  I’m not saying we can manipulate God by showing Him how big our faith is.  This isn’t one of those things that I am saying God will do as I ask because of my faith.  Instead, I’m saying that sometimes, just like the king, I see my struggle as so large, I only ask God for the minimum.  Which to me is a symptom of a heart that is making what I am facing bigger than God.  Which is idolatry.  Which is against the first commandment.  
You know, the one that says we shall not have any gods before God.  SO maybe, just maybe, instead of praying for the minimum solution to what feels like an overwhelming problem, I should start praying from a place of knowing my God is greater than anything.  Instead of “striking my arrows” three times, I should go ahead and do five or six.  Then I can watch God do more than I could ask or imagine!

0 comments:

Post a Comment