Friday, January 1, 2016

See, the new things ahead!


For the past few years, I've joined other followers of Christ in seeking God for a word for the year. I've felt this helped me to go deeper with the Lord while avoiding the pitfalls of not meeting a list of resolutions. (See this link on the science behind why 88% of resolutions fail: https://blog.bufferapp.com/the-science-of-new-years-resolutions-why-88-fail-and-how-to-make-them-work)

In 2014, the word was peace. God called me to seek peace that passes all understanding as 2013 challenged my faith. While 2014 was not smooth sailing, I learned to call on Jesus for peace 24/7 each day. You can't accumulate peace over time; it is like manna and you get a daily supply as soon as you ask. 

Last year, 2015, God kept asking me to believe. I had so much on my heart that I wanted to believe God could change or do. Truth be told, I felt like many of the things would never happen. I kept praying like the father from Mark 9, "I do believe, help me overcome my belief!" God worked in numerous ways, definitely showing me He is an Ephesians 3:20 God. 

As 2015 came to a close, there is one thing I'm still trying to believe God will do. If I'm honest with you, it takes a lot of my effort to believe. My heart has done 3000 bicep curls to believe and it knows one more could cause the muscle to fail. And the strength to believe will be gone forever. For 2016, God gave me a new word: still. Be still and know that He is God. Don't fight on my own anymore, just be still and watch Him fight for me. Ignore the wind and waves, for His peace will make them still. Heart, are you listening? You don't have to do more curls to believe. God will do it for us, just be still.

What is your word or goal with Jesus this new year?

0 comments:

Post a Comment