Monday, May 13, 2013

Mountains, Trees, and Rivers

     God uses things in His creation to often help me understand something about Him.  For example, when I was in college, I went on a ski trip with my college group.  I decided not to ski, but instead spent time with a friend who didn't want to ski.  We went snowshoeing on a beautiful hike through the mountains. (I'd totally do that again, btw.  got some awesome pictures and enjoyed the gentle, quiet pace of the forest.) I felt the vastness of the mountains and the woodlands and the sun breaking through the trees and gleaming off of the snow was showing me the greatness of God's glory, a much needed lesson at the time.  Last summer and fall, as I began surrendering all my dreams and expectations to God, the images of trees kept coming to mind, especially about how they withstand all seasons, planted and rooted firmly in the ground.  I know God was telling me that if I am planted like a tree in Him, I could survive and thrive in all seasons, even if they are seasons I'm not excited to be in.  Here are some drawings and verses from that time.  I think that it was an important truth, as a few weeks ago I was called steadfast in the Lord.  I feel like trees are so steadfast in creation as long as they stay healthy and well-tended.  If they are not planted in the right soil or deep enough, they will die.  I feel like I've listened and am growing more and more like a tree in the Lord everyday.
 


Currently though, God has been calling to my mind rivers.  I love, love, love the Rhett Walker Band's song "Come to the River."  On the right is a little sketch I did one night after listening to the song over and over again.  I can remember that this past Easter morning on the way to church, I heard this song and sang my little heart out to it.  God keeps calling me to lay myself down and drink from his river.  In the Breaking Free study by Beth Moore, she talks about how God's peace is like a river and it washes over the bumps and turns of life.  She quoted Isaiah 48:18- " Your peace would have been like a river."  If we listen to God, we too can have a peace like a river.  She said that just because we have that peace doesn't mean that we isolate ourselves off or our lives become still.  Instead she said the peace we can receive is "submission to a trustworthy Authority, not resignation from all activity."  Wow.  I feel like there are so many things in this walk to become more dependent on God that I truly haven't submitted to Him, which is causing me to not have his peace.  For example, I really felt like I should let God be more in control of my finances and not to trust in my stack.  Totally hard for me.  I've tithed and I do support other ministries.  However, I really don't like to see my savings account at a certain level. But instead of depending on God to provide, I have tried in the past to do it myself.  This January, He provided me with an opportunity for a part-time job tutoring, which has helped with the Dave Ramsey baby steps I'm on.  However, the first boulder in my river popped up when I needed new tires.  Ugh.  I thought to myself, there goes part of the emergency fund I'VE worked so hard for. I hope you caught that.  Not the emergency fund God provided, but my emergency fund.  Yup.  So I've had to repent and let go of my finances once again.  Submit to God's Authority over that area.  

    Last Sunday, I went to a local art festival with a couple of my sweet friends.  We happened upon a  photographer who had these amazing pictures of rivers in the woods.  I really liked this one here to the left because it has the peace of the river following over the rocks, as well as the beautiful trees.  (Oh yeah, and my secret retreat cabin with an art room.)  I love this picture and can even smell the freshness of the woods.  I knew that I had to get this picture.  Then Miss LE found this picture:
       Beautiful, isn't it?  It so describes God's peace.  When we submit to His peaceful authority, it covers all the rocks and troubles of our life.  I can hear the rushing water sound.  The water just keeps on coming.  If we were to dam up the river, then the water would stop.  But as long as we keep it open, the water never stops coming.  All much like the peace of God.  If we don't allow it in our lives, it stops and we become dry.  If we allow it to come, then it will come over us everyday.  I think for me, the hardest part is that I am having to ask for that peace every morning when I wake up. I wish that when I woke up in the morning, it would already be there.  In some areas it is, but in other areas, I am still having to lay myself down at the the feet of the Lord and accept His will.  As Beth Moore put it, "The path of peace is paved with knee-prints.  Bend the knee to your heart to the all-powerful, all-sufficient, all-knowing Creator of heaven and earth."  So, who is coming to the river with me, laying our burdens down, and finding a peace-covered heart instead?
  

0 comments:

Post a Comment