Tuesday, July 8, 2014

The Young Living Oil Test: Lavender



This week's Young Living Oil that I am highlighting is LAVENDER.  Last December a friend of mine was having a special offer to try the YLO oils.  I was interested because I'm kind of a granola and yogurt eating hippie.  Plus, I've really struggled with allergies, headaches, and digestive issues lately, and I was looking for some relief.  I asked her where I should start and she recommended the lavender oil, calling it the Swiss Army Knife of oils.  And she wasn't kidding.  In the past seven months, I have used this oil for many different things and all of it has helped me greatly.  Here are some of the things I've done with the oil:

  1. Sleep Better.  Young Living Oil recommends that for better sleep you take two drops, rub it on your hands and then your pillow for better sleep.  I like to rub it on the bottom of my feet as well.  It definitely has helped me calm my mind and fall asleep quickly.  Now when I go to bed, I have to smell lavender to sleep!
  2. Clean Better.  I put 20 drops of lavender oil in a spray bottle with some water and used it to clean windows and also as alternative to Febreeze.  Everything smells so fresh!
  3. Feel Better.  When I have a stress headache, you know, the kind that starts at your neck and works your way up to your head, I take some of the oil and massage it on my neck.  Within about 10-15 minutes, I feel the tension released and my head slowly stops hurting.  Also, I was having some bad PMS a few weeks ago and I put some Lavender in my water and drank it, which helped me to feel much more calm.  Now I'm trying it out with some lemon and peppermint to help my allergies.  I'm praying I can be free of my allergy medication and feel like a normal person!
  4. Heal Better.  My dad is allergic to a brand name cut ointment.  Because of this, I've never put said ointment on my body.  However, I know cuts heal better with medicine.  I got a good cut this past weekend when catsitting for The Nurse.  I've rubbed the cut twice a day with the lavender and it is healing quite nicely.  It stings a little at first, much like when you rub peroxide on a cut, but it is looking much better and healing very quickly.  Also, I had a weird bruise on my thumb and in a day, after the lavender oil, said bruise is gone.
There you go! My review and experience with lavender oil.  I'm sure that this is only scratching the surface of all the uses.  One way I am looking forward to using this oil is when school starts, is diffusing it in my classroom.  I want to create a calm environment, so I am going to diffuse it in the afternoons, which seem to be a high energy time. According to several studies, it can boost brain power and concentration while lowering stress and anxiety in the workplace, so I'm sure it will be very helpful in the classroom, especially the first few weeks when kiddos are very nervous about school and have a hard time transitioning from summer break.  (And I'm sure it will be great for the adults in the room too!) I will report back!  If you are on the fence about trying the oils, start here...you won't regret it!

*If you want more information about Lavender and the basic uses for it, check out this PDF by www.got-oils.com.  Helpful and a great printout to keep handy!  (Of course, I'm a teacher, so I really like handouts.

0 comments:

Post a Comment