Monday, March 4, 2013

Taking the Mystery out of the Seeking


   Last Christmas, Miss K gave me a metal paper holder that had this verse on it.  She told me that she really felt God lay on her heart that I needed to hear that message of seeking Him. As soon as she shared that with me, I saw or heard that verse everywhere.  Seek Him.  Seek Him.  Over the past two months, I've tried pressing more into Him through all kinds of methods.  I was gung-ho at the beginning of the year to do three Bible reading plans, listen only to podcasts of sermons, and spend at least twenty minutes of my day in a meditative prayer state.  I wanted to do this seeking God business that I kept hearing about.
    Since I am a human being who is not perfect and cannot live up to anyone's expectations, including my own, I failed miserably.  I couldn't follow this plan, which left me wondering, "How can I really seek God?"  I want to press more into Him, I want to know more about Him.  I want to be filled up by Him.  After going through this process of letting go of control, and just letting God guide me, He entered in with His answer.
     At our school chapel on Wednesday, Chris Spradlin spoke.  I knew it was going to be a good chapel, having become familiar with him and his wife through church.  Both of them are great speakers, always sharing the truth of God in a simple manner.  Chris wanted the kids to begin seeking God on their own.  He gave them four easy things, which spoke to me in my own search of the way to seek God.  Here they are:
  1. Read your Bible.  (Or in the case of some of the kids, have your parents read it to you.)
  2. Go to church.  Learn from teachers there and fellowship with other believers.
  3. Pray.  It doesn't have to be fancy, just communication with God.
  4. Serve others.  Look around to others and see who needs a helping hand.
     As chapel finished up, I sat there with my mind blown.  Here I was, trying to turn this "seeking God" into a huge mystical process.  In reality, it was simple, uncomplicated, and easy.  I felt God saying, "You are doing that.  You are seeking me.  It isn't going to be complicated, just turn and look to me."  I felt reassured that I am doing the things to continue to seek God.  It isn't about a rigid set of rules on how to find God or learn more about Him.  If we stop and chose a relationship with Him, one that is guided by Him, and not ourselves, we will seek and find Him.  Stop trying so hard like I was, and start making it simple.  He is closer than you think.





0 comments:

Post a Comment