Friday, October 11, 2013

Halloween...to Celebrate or Not...

     When I became a Christian at 7, I didn't want to celebrate Halloween next year. As a kid, I never really liked the fear factor associated with the holiday. However, my family never celebrated with the gore of the holiday and my parents were very careful to guard my sister and me from that part of Halloween, so I continued with celebrating it.

     As I've gotten older, I've definitely felt conflicted about the holiday. I don't do zombies, vampires, witches, etc. Part of it is because I do have a very sensitive spirit and that stuff bothers me a lot. Part of it is that I know all of it is make-believe and I find it silly. (I know, this may seem conflicting with my love for Narnia and Middle Earth. But to me that's different. I can't explain it. I can read about Bilbo fighting giant spiders and not be affected. I see the sign for Frontier City's fright fest and I have bad dreams. I'm not sure what the difference is, but there is one for me.) Anyway, I've been trying to find the truth on this holiday. Can I celebrate it? Should I celebrate it? As I have read more about grace filled, holy living, the tension existed even more for me. 

     I was praying about what to do. I decided to google it to see what other Christians believe and why. I found a homeschooling mom who explained why her family doesn't celebrate the holiday. I thought, hmmm, ok, maybe I shouldn't celebrate it, even though that felt legalistic to me. I scrolled down to the comments and this other mom had a really amazing answer. She started off by saying that we have to remember Oct.31 belongs to The Lord. If we truly believe He is Lord over all, then we should believe that satan DOES NOT get a day. I totally agree. Sorry, I'm REALLY NOT SORRY,  satan, you've already been defeated at the cross. You don't get a holiday. My God is the creator and maker of all the days, and He created Oct.31. She then went on to tell about how her family celebrates. They pass out candy with a verse attached to it that says how we don't have to be afraid because God is with us. She and her husband make paper lanterns that line their walk way with verses about Jesus being the light of the world. They view the opportunity of people taking their children trick or treating as a time to really witness about Jesus to their neighborhood. I really liked that they were taking an offensive approach to the darkness that surrounds Halloween. They have decided that they are going to have the truth made known.  I love it!  I know it can seem "Jesus-Juke-y."  However, I see it as a way to begin to plant seeds and reach people for Jesus who otherwise might not be open to it. Plus, I love the attitude of standing firm in what you believe. Let's not run and hide from the darkness, but instead use it as a tool to bring the Light into the darkness.

     So where do I fall on the issue? For me, I'm going to continue to celebrate it. But this year, I'm definitely having a fresh perspective. I'm going to carve a couple of pumpkins: one with John 3:16 on it, and the other with "Jesus is the Light of the World" on it. I'm going to get some card stock and print off a verse on it to hand out with candy. Instead of sending a message of darkness or scary things, I will send a message of Light and Love.

     Now, I do not say these things to bring to mind judgement to you. I'm saying as a Christian, I had to seek The Lord on what I felt comfortable in my relationship. Perhaps for you, you can celebrate with all the aforementioned things and it's not a big deal. Maybe for your family it is not a day you even want to be a part of in the slightest way. That's ok. That is where grace comes in. We seek God on these issues and what is right for us and His Grace covers all the in between. Whatever you do or don't do on this holiday, remember that we should do it all for the glory of God to make His name known...and that is just not only on Halloween, but also everyday of our lives. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment