Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Prayer, Part 1

Last week I started the book The Circle Maker by Mark Batterson. I'm only 70 pages in it, but it is definitely challenging me to grow deeper in prayer life. I love reading and being challenged to take prayer to the next level. My freshman year of college, I read Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire by Jim Cymballa and was changed forever in my prayer life. I began to understand how powerful prayer is...it unleashes the Holy Spirit within us. A few years ago, I read Sun Stand Still by Steven Furtick and was challenged to pray boldly and in a steadfast manner.  Now as I'm making my way through The Circle Maker, my heart is challenged again.

Batterson calls us to be specific in what we pray about. I needed that jolt. I don't know about you, but I definitely can gloss over things when I'm praying. Sometimes it comes from laziness, I mean I am talking to God. He knows it anyway, right? Sometimes I am not specific because I feel repetitive. God, I already asked you yesterday about that. Sometimes though, I don't get specific because I doubt or fear. God, I've prayed this same prayer since I was 17. Nothing has changed. Will it ever? God, you know I want to pray for this to happen, but I'm afraid of the changes that might accompany it. 

I have written before about how I believe the act of naming is important. I think that is why God wants us to be specific in our prayer life too. When we are specific and intentional in telling God our requests, we fight against the sins of laziness, repetition, fear, and doubt. It honors God because we are showing Him that we trust Him to work on those deep desires of our hearts. It creates a deeper, more intimate bond between us and God.

I don't know about you, but sometimes I take for granted that I get to have a personal relationship with the Mighty God of the Universe. Seriously, it is mind blowing when I think about it. This week I've definitely been more specific about what I'm praying to God. And it has changed me for the better. It has helped me to feel even more connected with God. I feel peace, that peace that passes all understanding.  Most of all, it has helped me to stand firm in my faith. Be specific, name those things on your heart to God. He may not move in the way you expect, but I can guarantee that you will feel stronger in Him and have the peace of Christ in your heart and mind.


0 comments:

Post a Comment