Saturday, October 5, 2013

It is the little things...

I mentioned a few weeks ago about spiritual warfare and that I was reading a book about it by Chip Ingram. As was reading, a couple of things really hit home to encourage me:

1. Ingram wrote, "Annoying mishaps often cluster around a time of spiritual fruitfulness." I underlined that line. I feel like the past few weeks, tiny little things have irritated me way more than needed. Like the day I realized my Instagram account was made private, the day the windshield wipers wouldn't stop working, the day my dog went to the vet for a dental cleaning and getting the news he needed teeth pulled. Or having the kids spill yogurt all over the tables at lunch in the classroom. The room smelled so bad for the rest of the day.  Or just being so physically tired I had to reschedule dinner plans and miss my Lifegroup. Oh and there was that time I "conditioned" my hair with body wash. I'm still not even certain I got it all out. All these things I'd normally just roll with, but for some reason, they just really bugged me. And the more disgruntled I became, the more I found myself fighting. Fighting against what God wants to do in my life. Fighting for victory.

2. I then read the next few chapters in Ingram's book. It was about how as Christians we think we have to fight for victory, when we should fight from victory because the Holy Spirit lives within. Christ defeated satan when he died and rose from the grave. satan is a defeated foe. All he can do now is try to pull us away from God. But if we stop fighting for victory, and start claiming the promises God has given us, we will be fighting from our rightful place. That has totally changed my perspective. Suddenly the little things don't annoy me anymore as much. I needed that mental shift.

3. Finally I had a friend really affirm some truth this week. She said if I would stop fighting God, then some of this struggle would go away. It confirmed that idea that when we fight against God we open ourselves up to attack. I need to surrender and submit. She also encouraged me to press on because she felt like even though it is hard now, there are some sweet things up ahead. She encouraged me to get real with God. All of this was a great reminder, especially because of my coffee dream I had earlier in September. 

I encourage you...don't let those little things get you frustrated. Do a heart check and get real. And God will restore your joy and your peace. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment