Monday, June 3, 2013

Patience, Pt.3

     I love Elevation Church out in North Carolina, which is pastored by Steven Furtick.  I know it is weird to say that you love a church you have never actually visited in person, but I do.  Pastor Steven Furtick is mentored by the senior pastor of the church I attend, LifeChurch.tv, so the first time I heard about Elevation was back in 2008ish.  I remember that Pastor Furtick had this crazy platinum hair and jacket on, and at first glance I wasn't so sure about this dude.  But he preached, and ever since then, I've been a pretty loyal podcast listener.  The guy preaches with so much fire for God, you cannot help but be impacted by the power of God's truth.  
       As I've struggled with impatience lately, God has sent this sermon series at just the right time to speak life into my heart.  The first sermon in the series is entitled "The Greatest Source of My Frustration." Ah, I thought to myself.  Good.  I can get to the source of what is frustrating me, causing me to be impatient and then get rid of it in my life.  Pastor Furtick used Luke 10 where Jesus visits Mary and Martha as the Biblical illustration.  I made it through the first 3 points, just listening away when BAM! It hit me right between the eyes.  Pastor Furtick stated, "You get frustrated when you confuse God's purpose and expectations for yourself with your purpose and expectations for yourself."  You see, the source of my frustration with myself lately is because I have wanted my purpose for life to happen.  I'll be honest, High School Amy is a little crushed at life right now. Even College Amy is probably disappointed.  When I was 18, I had planned in my mind that I would be married at 23, a mom at 25, and enjoying motherhood right now.  I probably would have had a part time job where I was a counselor, helping people get healthy mentally. In college, I had moved the marriage age to 25-28, be a mom at 30, and working at a community college teaching "Intro to World Religions."   Instead, as Pastor Furtick put it, "God wrecks your plans so you have to cling to Him and go deeper with Him.  He wants to fill in that gap."  Whoa. Seriously? I mean, God, really?  We probably could have gone deeper with my plan, right?  I guess not.
   It made me think about God's purpose for me over the past six years. If I had followed my plan, I wouldn't have been able to let my life live out His purpose for me. I think about all the kids and families God has allowed me to touch for Him. I think about how because of my singleness I can show other young women that our lives should be focused on knowing God more, not finding our Mrs. Title by giving into fear by settling. You will survive if all your friends get married, I promise. :-) I think about how I can serve in the kids ministry at church because I can find joy in each kiddo. My attitude might be different if I had my own family. I may not even have the desire to serve! God's purpose for me is definitely greater than any dream or plan I had. I need to change my perspective and look from my Father's eyes at my life, and not my eyes. Then the frustration and impatience will cease.
  Forgive me God for being frustrated and impatient for what you have called me to do for You right now. If I lay my dreams down in Your hands, I know that you will allow them to come back in the way you have intended them to manifest in my life so that Your glory would be made known. Give me the eyes to see Your purpose for me in life. In Jesus' Name, Amen

0 comments:

Post a Comment