Saturday, February 2, 2013

Eucharisteo. What is it?

     Eucharisteo. This word came into my life last November through Ann Voskamp's book, One Thousand Gifts. I had heard about her story and the challenge to make a list of daily thanks to God. I started a list last July, but it wasn't until I read Ann's book that a seed planted deeply to start to produce an attitude of gratitude.
     The Greek word eucharisteo means thanksgiving and encompasses grace and joy. A powerful word God demonstrates over and over in His word. We are to live in the present moment, live with the I AM now. We turn our eyes upward to The Lord instead of downward on ourselves. It allows us to see His daily grace for life and enables us in return to give grace to others. Ann challenges the reader to go on their own joy dare, searching for eucharisteo, searching for a deeper relationship with God. The question you may ask yourself: Does it work? Does collecting gifts, being aware of the here and now of God's goodness change your life for the better? As Ann says, "Does thanksgiving really proceed the miracle?" I'm here to say that I'm only one month in as an intentional gift collector, but I know my life is better. I know thanksgiving proceeds the miracle.
     It's an exciting time for my family right now. My younger sister, The Nurse, is getting married! She is over the moon happy! I'm excited that she has such a good person to spend her life with. Lately, we have bridal faired, dress shopped, planned, and talked about how to make her special day come together.  I was worried that through all of this, I would wallow in self-pity. You see, if things were going according to my plan, I would have been married for two years. Instead, I'm not married or even dating anyone. Ungrateful Amy would be bitter and filled with jealousy. Ungrateful Amy would have complained it wasn't fair her younger sister was getting married first.

     Instead, The Gift Searcher Amy, the one seeking God's goodness everyday, is  happy for The Nurse. Last weekend we found her dress, and let me tell you she looks so fabulous and grown-up! Not to mention radiating with joy! She is bursting with excitement! The Gift Searcher Amy can honestly rejoice with her! I am so thankful for her and her future husband. I can't wait to see all the wonderful things God has in store for them.
      In all this thanksgiving, the miracle has happened; I am no longer that jealous, panicked person whose life is not going to her plan. No, now I'm praising God for The Nurse's happiness and resting in the promise that I know that He has a plan for me and it does include an "Ephesians 3:20" man in His time, way, and place.
     If you are facing hard times, I encourage you to look upward, give thanks in the storm, and let The Lord change your heart and life. Thanksgiving does proceed the miracle.
     Here's the special couple! Look how adorable they are! Can't wait for June 29th! Love you so much sister!!







0 comments:

Post a Comment